Although the main focus of this blog is to discuss spiritual matters, we cannot forget that our life on earth and the way we go about earthly things also influence our spiritual development and growth.
That’s why today’s post is about an” event conceived by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and Leo Burnett that first took place in 2007, when 2.2 million residents of Sydney participated by turning off all non-essential lights” (Source: Wikipedia). Many other cities around the world have adopted the event since then.
On WWF website, you may check out how you can participate in this event that has turned into a “unique phenomenon that focuses the world’s attention on our amazing planet, and how we need to protect it”.
For 2013 as we all switch off our lights, we want the focus to be on the kind of energy we use. Because to create a better future for our planet we need to move away from dirty fossil fuels and onto clean green renewable energy which works with the awesome power of nature, not against it.” (Source: WWF official website).
Such initiative is highly positive because it helps to raise people’s awareness on issues like the need to save energy every day, not only on one single occasion. Hopefully, more and more households, office buildings, enterprises, towns, and cities will join the movement and always remember to switch off unnecessary lights.
Caring for our home planet is a must, and as God’s children we are specially called to do something that will positively impact everyone’s life.
- Kenyans prepare to switch off lights (capitalfm.co.ke)
- Nice goes black for Earth Hour 2013 (Video) (examiner.com)
- Earth Hour 2013 (getleducated.com)
- Join the earth hour ! (revfdn.org)
- Awakenings: Earth Hour 2013 (catnipoflife.wordpress.com)
- Lights out around the world (guardian.co.uk)
- Earth Hour (astraunic.com)
- Earth Hour and the anti-science Left (thecommentator.com)
- 4 facts about Earth Hour (cbc.ca)